Mentorship and Professional Development Program
The Medical Toxicology Institute's Mentorship and Professional Development Program was established to address concerns by some medical toxicologists that their career options in toxicology were limited to the traditional EM model. Many have expressed interest in pursuing career opportunities outside this model but were unsure how to attain the necessary skill set expediently.
The Mentorship and Professional Development Program is an informal professional mentoring program open to medical toxicologists at all career stages. The Mentorship and Professional Development Program is targeting mentees who are early-career and mid-career medical toxicologists as well as fellows-in-training who wish to expand and refine their skill set in medical toxicology. As an effort to strengthen medical toxicologists’ careers and elevate the specialty, the Mentorship and Professional Development Program falls under the ACMT Medical Toxicology Institute.
This program brings together medical toxicology mentors and mentees for one-on-one apprenticeship opportunities that will provide hands on practical training for skill development and refinement that will enhance their career development. Mentorship has long been known to increase career satisfaction and advancement among both parties involved. We are now recruiting eager, pioneering members to serve as mentors and mentees in the the Mentorship and Professional Development Program.
- The Mentorship and Professional Development Program is completely on a volunteer basis.
- Mentoring can be done through on-line electronic and telephone communication and/or employing in person visits depending on the desires of the mentor and mentee
- Mentors and mentees will agree to the goals of the relationship, meeting and follow-up intervals, and ground rules
- The Mentorship and Prfoessional Development Program will assist in providing resources for effective mentoring
- “Senior” mentors need not be that senior, just with some expertise, willingness to help, and time to dedicate to a mentee.
- The Mentorship and Professional Development Program will ask for periodic feedback on the progress of the mentoring relationship and how the program may be improved.
Click here to see the FAQ about Mentorship and Professional Development Program